Saturday, May 28, 2011

Who am I and What am I Doing Here?

Here's the story, of a lovely lady, who was busy, with one girl of her own...and a wonderful husband, a full time job, and a 100 mile (round trip) commute to said job.  Whew! Now that I've gotten that out of the way, you may be asking yourself, so what is she doing here?  Yet another blog taking up space.  Why should this one be any different or any more interesting that the umpteen thousand other blogs out there.  And why should I follow her?

You see, I weigh more that I ever have in my life (except for at the end of my pregnancy).  I can see the svelte, curvy girl that used to be there hiding under all of that mess just waiting to bust out.  I lack the energy that a young daughter deserves of her mama, not to mention my husband.  There are so many things that I love to do, would love to do, but the body I have now just laughs at me and says "sure, yeah right, now go take a seat."  But in my heart, I really don't want to go take a seat. I want to be out in my garden, I want to be taking long walks with my daughter, and I want to hang out with my husband instead of being tired all the time.

About a year ago, I left a job in the restaurant industry.  The chain-restaurant industry to be exact. I worked there for 15 years.  We are talking 15 years worth of restaurant food.  Process, modified, fat and sodium laden restaurant food.  And by the end of that 15 years I'd had enough.  On a side note, despite what you may have heard, not all chain restaurant executives and creative teams are evil plotters thinking up ways to make you fat and sick.  What they really want to do is make a profit.  Plain and simple, end of story.  And to do that, they have to find the least expensive, yet still tasty foods that consumers will buy.  Unfortunately, that means the most processed / mass produced sorts of foods.   I think you get the idea. 

When I decided to leave that industry, I became passionate about finding local farms so that my family and I could eat fresh meat, produce, eggs, and dairy.  I feel so blessed to have found all of these all within 100 miles or so of my home!  I have even found a CSA who delivers straight to my office building.   How blessed can a girl be?  So each week, I will share with you what I have received in my delivery and come up with creative ways to prepare it!  I will also share my food budget for the week as well as any progress I make in the weight category (fingers crossed!)

So please, pull up a chair - I look forward to spending time with you each week "around the veggie-table!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a seat...let me know what you think!