Saturday, June 4, 2011

Changing Things Up a Bit (and Burgers too!)

As a busy working mother, having a meal plan is really important.  Being flexible with the possibility of changing that plan on any given day is essential!  This week that is exactly what I have done..so far, not one night has gone "according to plan" - but that's o.k.  We adapt and move on.

So tonight we will have those hamburgers on the grill we didn't have Thursday night.  One thing I love about burgers is how versatile they are...seasonings, add-ins, toppings.  The possibilities are endless!  Tonight I am going to do my version of a Lipton Onion Soup burger.  (One thing I try to avoid as much as possible is pre-packaged seasoning mixes.  Sometimes I can find organic versions on sale at Whole Foods that aren't chock-full of weird ingredients,  but I really prefer just to add my own.)

This recipe falls right into my philosophy of using only items that come from my CSA box and what is already in my pantry, as I received 2 lbs. of grass fed ground beef!


Onion Burgers (Makes 4 1/4 lb. burgers)
1 lb. Ground Beef
2 spring onions, finely chopped (I use the bulb and the stem)
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
A few dashes of worcestershire sauce (to taste)

Mix all ingredients together.  Shape into 4 patties.  To keep burgers from puffing up, create a well in the center in the burger. Grill to desired temperature and enjoy.  One note - grass-fed beef tends to cook faster than other beef.  Turn your temperature down a little before grilling.

I would love for you to share your favorite burger recipe or what you are cooking this weekend!

1 comment:

  1. tonight we are having Mama's version of goulash.....noodles and burger and maters. Haven't fixed it in years and I will have to figure out what herbs go in it. I am so hungry...can't wait.

    ReplyDelete

Have a seat...let me know what you think!